Coffea arabica originates from northeast Africa but is now commercially grown all over the tropical world and accounts for over 60 % of the worlds Coffee production. The remaining 40% is grown from other species and cultivars which are usually blended with Arabica to give each coffee grower their own unique coffee brand. Relatively easy to grow as a houseplant if given a bright spot out of direct midday sun, plenty of warmth and coming from tropical regions, good humidity. This can be created with regular misting in the dry atmosphere of a centrally heated house. If growing in a glass house or conservatory only place in filtered light, full sun may cause leaf scorch.
Although it can form a small tree up to 8 meters tall it can easily be pruned to maintain a much smaller shrub. The small, white, scented flowers are autogamous (self fertile) so only one plant is required to produce fruit. It will tolerate short quite low temperatures so can go outside during the summer once all frosts have passed but it will not tolerate any freezing even for short periods. Despite this we are continually experimenting and trying to push their cold tolerance and who knows, one day we may produce a hardier plant. Happy in any moist but well drained compost reducing watering from late October until late March. During the colder months keep the compost only just moist. Feed with a half dose liquid houseplant fertilizer during the growing season about once a month.
Sent as 5 to 8 seedling per 8.5cm pot.
Additional photos By Marcelo Corrêa - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=85360 and By Forest & Kim Starr, CC BY 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=6157239